Sunday, October 28, 2007


As the days fly by in what seems like a photo flash, I'm ever more aware that another year will slip by and I'll be another year older. I can't believe we're at the end of October and we'll be into 2008 shortly. How frightening.

I've often broached this subject, but I am ever more aware of the fact that some things make much more sense to me, and others leave me baffled and just.....cold.

I am starting to realise that the time I have with my kids is finite. My eldest lad will be 19 and has virtually flown the nest - and I really miss him. My 13 and 15 year old lads are mini adults and are both grappling with the grown up issues of what they're going to do after school, girls, and other stuff that I apparently 'wouldn't understand' because I'm 'too old'.

Harry, my 6 year old stayed at Sue's brother and his wife's house and I really missed kissing him goodnight and tucking him into bed last night. That will stop eventually as he gets older and I'll really miss that.

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to care more about things now than I used to. I'll often wonder if things I say or do will impact on people, whereas before I actually enjoyed being provocative. I look at kids and the younger generation and see how selfish and shallow they can be sometimes. Was I like that? Probably. No one seems to have time for anybody either these days, do they? Do they? I'm pretty sure it was Socrates who despaired about the youth in his days - funny how history repeats itself.

So, as time marches on and I get more of a grumpy old man worrying about the 'kids of today' I can take stock in the fact that I'm appreciating life more, I'm understanding people more and I love my kids and family more.

I hate working as hard as I do, and I appreciate the time I have left. Just a few more camera flashes?

No comments: