Saturday, March 31, 2007

Why Blog and podcast?

It's quite an introspect question. Everyone who does it asks the question at least once or twice.


Quite simply I do it because I love doing it. I think it's a real privilege to be able to say what's on your mind and know that there's a whole world out there that can listen. I've heard many threaten not to do it, or threaten to give up. I don't think I've ever got to that navel gazing place where I threaten to hang up the earphones, but I could be wrong. I enjoy this far more than not and often feel compelled to do this. It's immensely satisfying.


I love visiting the forums and know a good number of the folks out there. In the main they're a really good bunch. We all have ego's, I'm sure, that comes with the territory.


What does irritate me, and where I feel I distance myself now is the seemingly constant desire to be talked about here, there, appear on this, in that or appear in the top 10 of something. I sometimes wonder if there's an invisible ladder that some perceive they feel they need to scale. I smile a wry smile at those folks, hopefully from the bottom of the ladder. The ladder leads to nowhere.


I probably do this more for reassurance to myself I think. I enjoy writing down that which is on my mind, and I really enjoy looking back. I'll often look back 18 months and see my thoughts as a journal more than anything else.


I couldn't really care less about the latest 'in' show or hope that so-and-so talks about me. I'm not foolish enough to write this down with the reverse psychology that I really want to be talked about, awarded or anything else - I feel there's more to me and this than shallow plaudits - they come and go. I've been constant since December 2004 and I aim to remain constant too.


What does remain and is always constant is my honest belief in what I talk about, the warmth of folks I've met through this medium and the great freedom we can enjoy.


Don't be sucked into listening to people crow about how great they are, and be retiscent about hype. Have a browse around and look and listen for yourself. There's a huge breadth of stuff out there waiting to be consumed. The BBC have some fantastic stuff - I love Today In Parliament and the Today slot, there's some really great independent stuff too.


Why do it? Well, why read this?


;-)

No comments: