Friday, March 23, 2007

Overt flirting

I can't believe the way that kids these days are so openly flirty with each other, it's a shame really as the whole mystique of courtship seems to have gone out of the window.

The moments you feel tongue tied, weak kneed and desperate just to catch a glimpse of your dream bird seem to have gone for a burton. What a shame.

I found a questionnaire on Christian's (my 15 year old son) myspace page. It's obviously generic, but some of the questions are a bit close to the knuckle and overtly sexual. Kids just don't seem to blink at these and think it's normal. Is it?

Anyway, I answered the questionnaire and sent it to Chris:


what would you do if I?

1. I made a move on you? I'd say stop that Chris, I'm your Dad
2. I kissed you? I'd brush my teeth as your breath stinks
3. I lived next door to you? I'd think, oh no, I've been waiting ages for him to go and now he moves next door
4. I started smoking? I'd put you out with a bucket of water
5. I asked you on a date? I'd say, ok, you're paying.
6. I was hospitalized? I'd use your room for my own use - now there's a thought.........
7. I got into a fight and you weren't there? I did, I went out hunting for the blokes
8. I asked you out? I'd say, Chris mate, I need to explain a few things to you..

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MY::
9. Personality: well, nice and sometimes weird.
10. Eyes: young eyes
11. Hair: hairy
12. Body: young boy

WOULD YOU::
13. Be my friend? errr...in a friendly way, yeeeees
14. Keep a secret if I told you one? yes, go on
15. Hold my hand? noooo... you're 15 Chris
16. Go on a date with me? errr, didn't you ask me that above?
17. Keep in touch? yes
18. Try and solve my problems? yes
19. Love me? as your Dad, yes
20. Date me? Again? Second thoughts, no. That would be incest

HAVE YOU EVER::

21. Lied to make me feel better? probably, I have to break it to you now, but you know Father Christmas, right?
22. Wanted to kiss me? I did when you were a baby
23. Wanted to kill me? constantly.......
24. Broke my heart? no
25. Kept something important from me? probably
26. Wanted to do me? err, what?!?

AND MORE::

27. Who are you? (In Darth Vader voice) I am your father Luke
28. Are we friends? hope so
29. When and how did we meet? you were coming out of a pretty horrible place in your mum at the time at hospital....
30. Describe me in one word: son
31. What was your first impression? uuurgh blood...
32. Do you still think that way about me now? yes
33. What reminds you of me? blood
34. If you could give me anything what would it be? sense of humour like me
35. How well do you know me? better than you know
36. When's the last time you saw me? this morning
37. Ever wanted to tell me something but couldn't? probably
38. Are you gonna put this on yours to see what I say about you? on my what?

1 comment:

Brad P. from NJ said...

Good on ya for taking the time to keep track of your kids. I think too many parents just assume that their kids would never do anything questionable... or worse yet, choose not to know what their kids are up to because they don't want to invade their privacy. I see it as my job as a parent to give my kid(s) a fair amount of parental influence, input, care... to help them shape their ideals, morals, et al, so that they'll be prepared to deal with the world out there.

I'm quite proud of my 14 year old daughter. She's had a fairly good grounding in our ethics, had some religious-based sex education (not just an abstinence-only program, but also what relationships mean in the context of Unitarian Universalism), and she doesn't fight me when I ask her not to wear belly shirts, or uber-tight jeans... although she wouldn't be able to go do her filming, volunteering at the nature center and work with the robotics team in hip, American teen-dult clothes and styles.

Now, I just have to work on figuring out how prep my boys (oldest is 8) to prep them to be good men... I'll probably bug you for some of your thoughts later.