Thursday, June 26, 2008

Getting older

I went to the opticians a week ago for a check up. I hadn't been in ages.

The optician spent over an hour with me and said to me 'I'm sorry to tell you this, you've got blood vessels growing behind your eye'

I just shrugged my shoulders. So what? I've got loads of blood vessels.

Apparently I'd been wearing contact lenses for too long - 23 years from morning to night without a break. My eyes were sore, drying out and I needed to rest them.

The optician mentioned to me that my eyes had beens starved of oxygen with long term contact lens wear and if I carried on I could lose my sight.

Blimey.

I've got to be honest, I hated glasses years ago as I was so vain when I was a kid. Now, I'm 40 and just happy not to feel completely whacked out a the end of an evening. My eyes are incredibly valuable to me, and I don't want to lose them.

Glasses it is then! With very occasional contact lens wear.... very occasional

....actually they're really nice RayBan ones and I quite like 'em.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quite like them too!!
Love Sue xx

Brennig said...

They look ok to me.

But this is worrying news. I wear contacts - the 'extended wear' kind? They come out for one day a month, apart from that they're in 24/7.

Specsavers are pretty good at nagging if I miss an eye checkup. But boy oh boy, this is worrying!

Is there any chance things will improve or will the status remain quo?

Paul Pinfield said...

RayBan? OOOOOOOOOOOOh, get you...