Thursday, June 26, 2008

Getting older

I went to the opticians a week ago for a check up. I hadn't been in ages.

The optician spent over an hour with me and said to me 'I'm sorry to tell you this, you've got blood vessels growing behind your eye'

I just shrugged my shoulders. So what? I've got loads of blood vessels.

Apparently I'd been wearing contact lenses for too long - 23 years from morning to night without a break. My eyes were sore, drying out and I needed to rest them.

The optician mentioned to me that my eyes had beens starved of oxygen with long term contact lens wear and if I carried on I could lose my sight.

Blimey.

I've got to be honest, I hated glasses years ago as I was so vain when I was a kid. Now, I'm 40 and just happy not to feel completely whacked out a the end of an evening. My eyes are incredibly valuable to me, and I don't want to lose them.

Glasses it is then! With very occasional contact lens wear.... very occasional

....actually they're really nice RayBan ones and I quite like 'em.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quite like them too!!
Love Sue xx

Brennig said...

They look ok to me.

But this is worrying news. I wear contacts - the 'extended wear' kind? They come out for one day a month, apart from that they're in 24/7.

Specsavers are pretty good at nagging if I miss an eye checkup. But boy oh boy, this is worrying!

Is there any chance things will improve or will the status remain quo?

Anonymous said...

RayBan? OOOOOOOOOOOOh, get you...