Thursday, April 05, 2007

Don't Cry for me Argentina.........

.........the truth is, you'll never have it.

I remember sitting in a classroom in 1982, I'd have been 14 at the time, 15 later that year. Steve Jones ("Limpet") came in shouting "They've invaded the Falklands.........!"

30 or so teenagers were excited and enraged - and utterly confused. The Falklands?! Eh?

A bit of the British Isles that is still disputed territory is, to us, and the very British inhabitants; The Falklands - and to the Argentinians; Islas Malvinos.

25 years on and I still remember feeling so proud of our armed forces who fought of the shambolic, disorganised rabble that were the Argentinians. Night after night we'd see news footage of heroic battles, reminiscent of the standpoint of Michael Cane & co in Zulu. The one difference was the fact that we won... I still hold fast to the well seasoned mantra that the British forces are THE best in the world.

No comments: